Friday, June 15, 2012

Gotta Have It!



Years ago there was this product I used to want so badly. I would sit and try to devise a way to save money to buy it. I followed the sales, looked for used ones in good condition, put it on birthday and Christmas lists. Priorities and life changes entered in. Never got it.

Today I saw the price on the item had dropped drastically. There was a big sale going on as well. It was finally in my price range. Only.. I didn't want it anymore. In fact I hadn't even thought of it for quite sometime. I had even stopped searching sale papers for it.

I started thinking of all the items I had wanted over the years. Items I thought I couldn't do without. Did I get them all? Definitely not. However life was moving along fine without them. Yet sometimes it seems the desire for certain things is overwhelming, becoming my motivating drive. But then I have to ask myself these questions: "Are you willing to sacrifice time with your children? Your spouse? Your friends? How is the desire for that item affecting your generosity?"

The answers always bring me back to reality. No thing will ever replace the value of relationships. The item will be long sold at a yard sale before we would ever let go of the people we love.

That's the nature of "things." They are just things. We want them. Think they will make our lives easier, more fun, healthier, more envious, but they don't really have any kind of staying power. No real satisfaction comes from them.

The only items we really hang on to are those sentimental things. The ones that remind us of family, love, hope. The other items, the ones that bring us convenience, prestige or entertainment are quickly outdated and tossed.

It opens the door on the verse of scripture, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-20

It's only the eternal investments that truly matter. May those items we already own and those we acquire simply be tools in making those investments.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lou Anne,
    It's Kim from over on xanga, I got locked out of my xanga blog so I started one here, come check it out if you like~ http://sailing5-charis.blogspot.com/ Hope your doing well! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. LouAnne, I love this. My husband and I are trying to focus on gifts, expenditures and generosity in our family that revolve around experiences together rather than possessions. Sometimes it is hard not to feel like I am cheating my loved ones out of material gifts items they would really enjoy, but our memories together and moments like the one you describe remind me that our relationships are far more precious and lasting than possessions. Thanks for a great reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! :-)